What is the change of use report?

The change of use report is when you want to modify a commercial space and convert it into a dwelling. In general, a series of important steps must be followed in order to carry it out correctly.

If you need to make the change of use memory, in this blog we are going to provide you with everything you need to know, as well as some tips and recommendations. You can also access this site if you need to contact professionals to provide you with better advice.

Recommendations and substantial information

If you want to carry out this type of work, it is essential to know what the Ley de Ordenación de la Edificación (LOE) says about it. It is mandatory to have a construction project, since we are talking about a “building work”.

Building constructions are generally a type of work in which considerable changes are made, either in the general exterior composition, volumetry, the structural system as a whole or changes that imply changing the characteristic use of the building.

With this in mind, if we want to execute the change of use report from a commercial to a habitable residence, we have to have the justification about the change we want to make. This must be signed by the architect in charge of the adaptation process of the property.
This is also required to prove that we have the necessary requirements to request the certificate of habitability.

The technical project


This type of work has a smaller scale than a new building, if we are not going to make very extreme changes. Therefore, the memory change project that we want to execute cannot be considered as a Building Work.

To do so, it is essential to have a construction manager to monitor the progress of the project. According to the LOE, the project does not need to be endorsed, but it is important to keep in mind that some municipalities may require it.

The requirements

We must bear in mind that the technical project must comply with certain conditions. The purpose of the report is to endorse the change of use report and it must also include: a descriptive report, another one on the construction type, a breakdown of the execution costs, a study on waste management and the construction plans. All of the above can be performed by a qualified technician.

This type of works must comply with the conditions of the CTE and the project has to develop the following topics:

  • Comply with the conditions of the CTE.
  • Annexes: complying with quality and design requirements for residential buildings have a statement on common infrastructure in buildings to enable access to communication services, compliance with seismic resistance standard ncse-02 and a Declaration of compliance with current urban planning regulations.
  • Specifications.
  • Quality control plan.
  • Analysis of demolition and construction waste management.
  • Budget and measurements.
  • Plans of installations, finishes and carpentry.

We hope this information has been helpful. If you want to learn more about the documents and other issues that must be included in this type of project, do not hesitate to consult with qualified professionals.

Remember that you can always receive advice from the law firm Carlos Baño León, if you need to make consultations or have any doubts in this regard. They can provide you with more detailed information.

Abrir chat
¿Necesita ayuda?¿Help?
Hola, ¿En que podemos ayudarle?
Hello, How can we help you?
Hallo. Hoe kunnen we u helpen?
Scroll to top